Thursday 1 July 2021

Dogs in nursing homes

and in aged care can make all the difference to the day of a resident.

The staff at the Senior Cat's residence sometimes bring their dogs in to work. I have met a very elderly dog this way and a very young one as well. I have also seen another dog there.

Yesterday, concerned that we might be heading for a lockdown the priest from the Senior Cat's church made an earlier than usual visit - and took his dog with him.  I was on my way out as D... was going in and I know I will hear about the visit from the Senior Cat - when D... finally managed to get to him.

Even before D.... could finish signing in though there were people talking to his dog, admiring her and patting her. (She just flopped on to the floor and took it as her due.) The entire atmosphere in the reception area changed. 

The reception area is usually fairly quiet. I say hello to the person on duty but not much more. A lot of people go backwards and forwards without saying anything unless they need something. Yesterday people were chatting to each other - about dogs and the people they were going to visit. "Oh, you're M....'s daughter-in-law? I've heard so much about you!" I heard someone say.

And there were two residents sitting in the little lounge area you need to pass through who were watching with anxious anticipation. I could almost hear them saying, "You are going to stop and let us pat her too aren't you?"  I know he will have done that.

I like dogs. I know most of the dogs in this district - those who are regularly walked. The dogs know me. I talk to them - something I know some people think is ridiculous but I firmly believe dogs do understand something. I am much more a "cat" person than a "dog" person but that has not prevented me having a good relationship with dogs. During the last lock down I met the partners of many dog walkers because the dogs saw me and recognised me. 

Their behaviour then was something I thought about yesterday. Do some dogs know that the residents of an aged care facility need them from time to time? Do they sense something? I think they might.

 

1 comment:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Dogs know infinitely more than most people who don't mix with them give them credit for. They understand moods and needs, and they can communicate in so many ways that don't use words. Although our present guardian does try hard to say words - they sound like "Urroowoo" but we can usually work out what she is saying. They also CARE and try to make things better.
I thought I was a cat person - brought up with them from birth - but found that I am just as much of a dog person and would hate to have missed all those lovely memories since we started having dogs about the house.