Tuesday 13 July 2021

Richard Branson's flight

into space at the age of 70 is an achievement. It is an achievement in many ways. 

Once, and not that long ago, it was considered to be an achievement to reach "three score years and ten". My maternal grandfather did not achieve that and there were others of his era who did not but might be alive now if they had been able to have the most recent medical treatment.

But Branson has achieved it and a great many other things as well. Most of all perhaps he has achieved his childhood dream of going into space. I have no idea what sort of person he is but he looked to be a happy man on the news clip I saw. Will it be short lived euphoria? It might be. I rather hope not because I suppose there will be some positive outcomes for all of us from the success of his project - rather in the way that WWI produced things like zippers and the early hearing aids. 

I have no desire to fly into space like that. Quite apart from the cost I am not a good traveller. Even looking at the rides at a fairground makes me feel queasy. News clips of the cyclists coming down hills during the Tour de France have the same sort of effect. I close my eyes on those.  I don't like flying - take off and landing make me feel really ill. Yes, I've tried closing my eyes, sucking a sweet, and much more. None of those things stop the vertigo. Once up in the air there is always that slight movement that I can never quite accommodate - and don't talk to me about things like "air pockets" or storms. I prefer terra firma.    

But "space" is "the last frontier". It is out there and human curiosity demands it be explored. People want to know. I would quite like to know myself. I find it hard to believe that this little planet is the only one with any form of life on it. There must be something somewhere. 

I think I will leave it to others to find out. I will leave it to the rich to spend millions on taking their partners on anniversary flights into space.  

No comments: