Friday 9 July 2021

There is a certain German supermarket

that still seems to be trying to increase its influence on the shoppers of this state - but I am wondering how successful they really are. 

Yes, this district got an "Aldi" store just a few short years ago. It was built on a space which usefully contained a bank and a medical centre. Both of these were used by local people. The bank branch relocated a few kilometres away but the medical centre was broken up because no suitable premises could be found. 

Now you might not think that moving the bank branch a few kilometres was much of a problem but it has proved problematic for many people. There is still an ATM in the shopping centre - the only external one available. It is out of order or out of service far too often. There are many elderly people who depend on it. Not everyone in this district still drives a car. They should not be driving. At 85 or 90 or more they don't want to drive - but they still need to be able to do some banking. Many of them don't have the capacity to do "internet banking".  I am wary of internet banking. The Senior Cat refused to even contemplate it and I know others around his age who are genuinely afraid of the idea.

But the buildings which contained these useful things were demolished and an "Aldi" was put there instead. I am wondering how well it is really doing. Thursday is pension day for many people in the district. If Aldi's prices are really that much cheaper I would expect the supermarket would be busy. I can see right into it as I pass. There were people in there but it did not appear to be that busy. Their car park had empty spaces. There were no "granny trolleys" lined up at the door. 

I spoke to someone I know outside the shop. It was cold out there.

"My daughter's getting something," she told me, "I said I'd wait out here. I don't like the place myself."

I thought that was interesting as she confesses to being "a bit of a shopaholic".  I went into the supermarket I prefer. It is locally owned and tries to source locally. They stock things that are not available in other places and, on Thursdays, they offer a small discount for Seniors and pensioners which reduces the cost to about the same as the other big name on the other side of the shopping centre. When I go into this locally owned supermarket I know I am going to be greeted in a friendly way by the staff, many of them know me and will greet me outside the shop as well. I know quite a number of them by name - and I make a point of using their names. I also know that if I can't reach something on a top shelf then they will cheerfully get it down for me. There are other little things they have done from time to time...such as save me a small pack of toilet paper last year. Some of the older staff who know the Senior Cat will ask, "How's your father?" - and they want to know the answer.

It's the sort of service which makes you want to go back. I've been into Aldi but I don't want to go back. I am told "the staff seem to change all the time" and "they don't talk to you in there". No, there is apparently some sort of staff policy about talking to customers that precludes any "chat".

I thought of this as C...put my groceries in my bags and told me, "If I leave the milk out you'll be okay". I knew what he meant.He knows how I pack the trike basket.  It's that bit extra that I really appreciate.

And how many times have I heard something similar from other people who shop there? Things like, "You know J.... was going off to lunch so he took the trolley down to the car for me and then put it in the bay". 

I suppose Aldi will survive but there is a lot more to shopping than the sort of experience they offer.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’m sorry useful businesses in your area have been replaced by yet another supermarket, though I suppose there is the theory that it should bring about more competition between shopping chains. I have not found Aldi assistants much less helpful than others at other shops.

Some people love some Aldi products. Aldi weekly Specials have, in my experience, been good value, and many are seasonal and repeated at about yearly intervals. I am grateful for their gadget than enabled my bicycle to be turned into a stationary exercise bike at a reasonable cost. Their low-carb bread is half the price of the “real” one, though the details on the packet are almost identical.

However, I too have been surprised by the over-all lack of customers in their shops. A new one opened quite near here a few months ago, and I have been once (I am not a dedicated Aldi shopper). The customers barely outnumbered the staff, though it was not a likely busy period. I asked if they had busy times and was given a polite shrug. The long queues and extra cost for using cards for payment annoy me.

Other obviously foreign supermarket chains (eg, Lidl) do not seem to be entering the marketplace though they were interested in the past.

LMcC