Thursday 15 July 2021

Please get vaccinated!

I will repeat that, please get vaccinated! Please use the QR codes or sign in manually. Please "socially distance". Please don't go to mass gatherings.

I could add a lot more. Brother Cat called me last night. He chats at length to the Senior Cat once or twice a week. His calls to me tend to be shorter but last night's was a long one. He wanted to check on us and I wanted to check on him and his family. He has a son and a daughter and their families living in the midst of a very serious outbreak of Covid19. 

His grandchildren can't go to school. Their mothers are trying to cope with "home school" and work from home at the same time. His daughter, having the slightly bigger and younger family, is finding it particularly hard to cope. My brother and his partner cannot see them and help because they are not permitted to travel in and out of the area. My brother's partner cannot visit her mother - a woman the same age as the Senior Cat.  

It is all fairly ordinary in one sense. It is what a lot of people are going through. That doesn't make it any less of a worry and I know that there are a lot of other people who feel the same way. 

What worries me though is the number of people who are still saying that they don't want to get vaccinated. This is not just the "anti-vax" cohort but otherwise ordinarily sensible people. They are worried about blood clots. Yes, I am too but do I want to become seriously ill with Covid19 and pass it on to others? They don't believe the disease is "that serious". Apparently all those deaths and hospitalisations are not serious. They think it is "just like the 'flu and will go away". Really? It has been with us for over a year now. This is not any sort of seasonal 'flu however serious that may be for some. 

Perhaps I am selfish but I want my life back to as "normal" as possible as soon as possible. I know a lot of other people who feel the same way.  

No comments: