Monday 25 September 2023

Invasion of privacy for political purposes

is apparently allowed. It is not considered "spam" or "advertising" or "trespass".

I suppose the upcoming referendum counts as politics. It has been divided on political lines to a greater rather than a lesser degree.

Still, it annoys me to answer the phone and find it is political advertising of a sort. It annoys me to open an envelope and find it is political advertising of a sort.

And it infuriates me when the ardent campaigners arrive at the door with their message and refuse to take "no, go away" for an answer. No, you do not have the right to harass me or call me names because my (informed) opinion is not the same as yours. I could not even slam the door in your face because you got to the door first. I was filling the water jug from the tank. You actually tried to prevent me from going inside my own home. Yes, it is my home. It not yours. I do not have to listen to you. You are trespassing. I asked you to leave. I was polite. I actually said, "Would you please leave this property? I do not wish to discuss the issue with you." That made no difference to you. Your behaviour is not going to induce me into voting the way you would like me to vote - to the contrary.

This referendum is dividing the country. It is dividing families. It is causing life long friendships to fail. Wherever I look there is division on an issue which should have brought people together. 

The idea that, if the referendum fails, we will wake up as a nation to the rest of the world calling us "racist" is ridiculous. The vast majority of people in the rest of the world are not going to know. The vast majority of people who do know are not going to care one way or another. The small number of people who do care however are likely to be the people who will choose to make sure we know exactly what they think. They will endeavour to influence global policies against us.

All this becomes more interesting now when Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, has now repeated the much criticised words of a former Prime Minister of this country. She has stated that the EU will decide who comes to Europe and stays there. It has not gone down well among some but it is interesting that it is being said at all. 

Of course it feels good to think we are accepting refugees and economic migrants and giving people a chance at a "better life" but the reality is different. Mass economic migration cannot go on as it is now. Refugees have to be able to return home - something the vast majority of them want to do.  And, like it or not, Aboriginal people cannot have special consideration with no expectations being made of them in return. 

It isn't a popular idea but - perhaps we need to start demanding more of each other.

 

No comments: