Tuesday 12 September 2023

The Country Women's Association

have done an extraordinary job again. They run the CWA canteen so efficiently.  

They were not there to give us morning tea today. The Show is officially over. No doubt they were wearily clearing up at the other end of the Showground.

As a kitten I was vaguely aware that, while the Show was on, some people lived in rough accommodation on the Showground. They were there to do things like mild the cows on display, feed the sheep and the cattle and other like tasks. I doubt it ever occurred to me the humans needed to be fed as well.

However in my teens I did become aware of this because our late friend B... took over the running of the canteen for what became many years. She was there very, very early in the mornings and she left late at night. It was not just for the then ten days of the Show. It was for part of the time beforehand as well.

Now the women who run the canteen are there for the fortnight before the Show. Three weeks ago I went off to do my volunteer bit. The CWA women were there. They provided us with morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. They provided those living on site with more than that.  I don't know what it was like but, if it was as good as ours, it was very good indeed.

We got freshly made scones. We had a choice of cake. We had mini-muffins, savoury ones. I don't normally eat any sort of morning tea but I make an exception for the Show. It is simply too good to miss. At lunch time they make me a cheese-salad sandwich...I could have other fillings if I wanted them or I could have a pie, pasty or sausage roll. There is soup and they turn out an amazing array of desserts that I have, so far, been strong minded enough to ignore but they look good too.

I wonder whether these women are really appreciated though. It's the little extras that really do it. In the queue to pick up my lunch order I was told, "You go and sit down and I'll bring you your mug of tea." That was so good from a very busy person. I didn't have to worry about spilling a mess on the floor. The day I didn't walk down to the canteen (it is a fair distance) they sent my sandwich up all neatly done up in a disposable cardboard box - with a paper serviette inserted. They are thoughtful and caring. 

They left the urn there today so we could make tea or coffee after we had sorted out the items in the cabinet. (People will pick things up tomorrow.) It was good to sit down for a moment and it gave everyone a chance to sign the get well card for V... who has damaged a knee and had to miss the past week.  I thought about cards as I put my paw print on it and I know I really need to send the CWA canteen women a card to say "thank you". They need to be appreciated.

 

No comments: