Saturday 23 May 2009

The smell of cornbread

is driving me to distraction. It is my contribution to the gathering today. We knitters are getting together for Maureen's birthday. Birthdays are a good excuse to get together. We all take something along for a shared meal. Somehow it always seems to sort itself out into a reasonably balanced meal too. I always take something savoury. Cornbread is about the closest I get to baking 'cake' of any sort apart from Christmas cake. This year I did not even manage a cake for Dad's birthday. Who wants cake when it is over 40'C? Some people might. We do not.
This cornbread recipe has parmesan cheese in it. I add a hint of cayenne pepper rather than the dill. Today I used rice bran oil rather than canola oil. Olive oil is a tad heavy for this recipe but is what I otherwise prefer for cooking.
So I am off to knit. Eleanor is picking me up at around 12.00. I always have mixed feelings about this but she says they want me there and the only way to get there (apart from the taxi I cannot afford) is for one of them to pick me up. Not being able to drive is a nuisance in this sort of situation but, overall, I am glad that I am not contributing to the hazards on the road. I would be a hazard. I watch other people all the time and think, "I would not have done that. How do they judge it?"
I can take the 'tablecloth' with me. This is the large circular piece of lace I have just finished. It is the adaptation of a pattern I found and decided to try. There is 'tablecloth' listed in the classes for the RAHS show in September and I will enter it in that without hope but it will ease my conscience about being a member of the Guild and dutifully putting something in. I am not sure that a woollen tablecloth is quite the thing though. What if you spilt tea on it?

2 comments:

Holly said...

any ability to take a pix?

Be careful, I will send you an inexpensive camera and trip pod. Or bring one with for you next August.

catdownunder said...

I now have a camera. I need to work out how to use it - as you know there are slight complications (not all of them concerned with reading the instruction book)! Give me time - am considering the tripod idea.