Thursday 7 May 2009

We have not heard

from the nice man which means that the floor covering is coming by (camel) train. The place is a mess. I have a bout of the common cold -ugh! If Dad gets it I will feel even worse - although I did tell him not to use the 'phone until after I had wiped it over with disinfectant.
My friend James sent me his re-worked autobiography yesterday. It now amounts to about 50,000 words. I doubt it will get any longer. It has been a huge physical effort for him - even with a computer. Like me he has cerebral palsy but his motor coordination is even worse and his speech is almost unintelligible. Communication is a real effort for him.
I like James a lot. He has a wicked sense of humour.
James began his autobiography with a short essay some years ago. He wanted, rightly, to point out that going to a special school is not a death sentence educationally or socially. It has grown, with some encouragement from his sister, me and a couple of others.
There is an odd reluctance to talk about himself or his family in it. We find out what his parents worked out but not much about their personalities or what they looked like, ditto his sister. I think this may be because what James is really wanting to say is something non-autobiographical. He had one year in the mainstream school system and it was not a wild success. Despite that he eventually managed to get a bachelor's degree. Had he been placed in the mainstream from the start (as he would be now) it is unlikely that he would have achieved nearly as much....that's his view and I have to agree.
That is why I groaned at the other major item in my in-box yesterday. It appeared three different times from three different sources - all of them wanting comment and/or advice. I think the organisation in question is getting bogged down in legal wrangles. It is supposed to be there to help the communication impaired. It is international. It needs some rules and regulations. I suspect however that it is, in itself, communication impaired. I suppose I will have to look at it.
I'd rather be writing.

No comments: