Monday 14 December 2015

Guilty literary pleasure????

Oh, right - I have to admit to this one Vanessa? Hmm...I don't suppose the comic strips in the paper are quite what you meant? And, I don't always read them now that they don't always appear on the same page. Mind you, they haven't been the same since you removed Broomhilda in favour of something I don't consider at all funny.
So, I suppose it will have to be the "detective yarns". I sneak those in last thing at night. 
I am sure you know the sort of thing I mean....impossible murder mysteries with equally impossible sort of heroes and heroines. I rather like those impossibly romantic individuals who get themselves involved in murder and mayhem. 
My love affair with these things started when I was very young. I read my way through Agatha Christie and then Patricia Wentworth and JJ Marric and more. I am not sure that they really count as "literary" but I read them.
And I went on from there to reading about detectives like Patrick Petrella, Inspector Wexford, Superintendent Wycliffe, and then Charlie Resnick (what's not to love about a man who has cats) and Adam Dalgliesh (who writes poetry for goodness' sake). Richard Jury has that wonderful collection of friends - who wouldn't want to meet someone called Melrose Plant? 
I am not in the least bit interested in horse racing but I enjoyed Dick Francis - not so  sure about his son Felix but Dick always had something besides the horse race in there.
And there are those historical detectives who work without the benefit  of modern day forensics. Falco, Brother Athelstan, Matthew Bartholomew,  and of course Cadfael.
Then there is Morse. The setting was Oxford. He was an interesting one - opera, crosswords, drank too much.
Rebus drinks too much too. He's a troubled man but there's that  underlying sense that he actually cares about people.
And Lynley - yes, a slightly ridiculous character I suppose but there's something rather nice about his uncertainties. His side kick, Havers, is an excellent irritation. 
There are plenty of others but they will do for a start...I am not sure how "literary" any of them are but they are my guilty reading pleasure. 
But there are three I am particularly fond of - Morse, Rebus and Lynley. 

No comments: