Wednesday 4 April 2018

I have just finished making a pence

jug. It has taken me the past two days to make it and it wasn't easy.
"What," I hear you asking, "on earth is that?"
A pence jug is a small knitted or crocheted object shaped like a jug. It has a handle and it closes with a ring. They were popular in Victorian times. Small amounts of money were kept in them - presumably pennies and halfpennies and farthings for the most part. There would have been quite a substantial amount in one if you filled one of the size I made. It is about 15cm( 6") high overall. The bowl (container) part is about 11cm high (just over 4"). 
I made it out of silk. This was deliberate as the original pence jugs were often made from silk. This one is pale grey and a brighter pink. This was deliberate too - at least, using two colours was deliberate. They were often made in two - or more - colours.  Some of them were lacy, although not too lacy as  that would cause the coins to fall out. Other pence jugs were beaded. The rings used as closures were sometimes quite elaborate, even engraved. (Mine is simply a small, old fashioned curtain ring covered in blanket stitch.)
I suspect that these little "jugs" were considered to be a work of the knitters' or crocheters' art by some - and a challenge by others.
Yes, it was a challenge. Silk, of the type I used, tends to be slippery stuff. (I eventually solved the issue of the stitches sliding off the needles by using bamboo needles - definitely not traditional!) The number of stitches used was relatively small - and that makes for "fiddly" too. 
And the pattern? I tried following a supposedly modern version of a pattern and found it hopelessly badly written. I looked at another version and realised that it wasn't made in the traditional manner. Then I did what I should have done in the first place I searched and found some early instructions for one and translated it as I went. Looking closely at some pictures helped. 
I don't have a camera and, even if I knew how to take a photograph on my ancient phone, I couldn't upload it here. If I can find someone with the technical know-how I will ask them to help later.
I have another pattern I may try now - and there will be more Victorian era things to try later. 
But, for now, I have succeeded in recreating a small part of the past. The Senior Cat said, "They weren't very practical were they?" 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do try and put up a photo Cat! Chris

Jodiebodie said...

oh yes, we must Find a way. Do you write your blog post on Blogger's interface or do you upload the text as a file? I can show you how to use Blogger's post editing features to add a photo. Please email me if you are interested.