Sunday 22 April 2018

Never too old to learn?

The Senior Cat bought a new woodworking device yesterday. I am not quite sure what it is supposed to do but he seems to know what he wants it to do.
He's only 95 - and he is still learning. He uses his i-pad. He uses his head and his hands. He still likes to have conversations with people.

I like all those things too. If I live to 95 I want to be like the Senior Cat - still wanting to learn things and having the mental capacity to do it.
I taught a craft class to adults yesterday. They wanted to be there and there were just seven of them - which is about the right number for a hands on class.  I think I tried to teach a bit too much. It's difficult to judge, especially if you don't know all the students beforehand. But, I did know some of the students and that helped. It helped that I must have done a reasonable job last time because they wanted to be there again.  
It took me a long time to prepare for the class. Someone else I know saw some of the preparation I was doing.
    "What are you bothering with all that for? I'd just go ahead and teach it. They won't appreciate it," I was asked.
Um....I want to bother.  I can't "just go ahead and teach it". I need to know exactly what I am doing and why I am doing it. There is a lot more to the subject than you appreciate. The students will never know how much work I put in but they will know if I haven't prepared as well as I could. 
I didn't actually say those things of course. The person who asked me the question used to be a teacher though. She should know better than that. (It's all right. She doesn't read this as she has no idea how to use the internet.) 
I like seeing people learn things. One of the great pleasures of teaching is seeing a student have a "light bulb" moment - seeing that moment when they suddenly understand.  The good thing is being able to be pleased for them. 
The other thing that worried me yesterday was whether I would be able to show people how to do something they needed to do. There are two ways of doing the thing in question. I can do it one way but not the other. I worried about this until I found something on the internet. Thank you to the internet and the people who post sensible little videos on there that really do explain I felt much more confident. I could give people the link and tell them. "I can't do it this way but you might want to try."
And yes, they went at varying speeds and with varying degrees of skill but I think they all managed to learn something.
Now, what can I teach them next?  It will be a lot of work but yes, it's worth it. I learn as much as they do - perhaps even more.

No comments: