Sunday 3 February 2019

Our fridge has stopped working

and I am trying to make do with an "Esky" - one of those cool boxes into which you put ice.
It is not working terribly well. This is not good news in hot weather.
The problem began some days ago. One side of the fridge started to freeze and the other stayed warm. 
 My BIL suggested turning the fridge off for a few days and letting any accumulated ice melt - but not on the hottest of hot days. That didn't happen.
Then the motor started to make strange noises. Oh. 
I investigated as best I could but had no idea what the problem was. 
Yesterday the breakfast milk was cool - but not cold. I informed the Senior Cat that "something has to be done". He groaned.
 But I had been thinking about this and said, "I think the fridge is about 46 years old."
The Senior Cat looked at me. I explained. He frowned.
    "You're right. When did we last have it  looked at?"
I found the piece of paper. (It was in a plastic bag under a magnet on the side of the fridge.)
    "Eleven years ago - and that is when the serviceman said it would not be worth doing again. He had a problem getting a part then."
No, we can't complain that it has not lasted well.
Middle Cat and I have ordered a new fridge. We know it won't last forty-six years. Both of us would be very ancient cats indeed by then. The Senior Cat would be older than Methuselah.
The only problem is that the new fridge won't be here for another nine days. 
If anyone knows how to send it I really would appreciate some of Upover's snow right now. 

2 comments:

Holly said...

the other option would be to relocate to Middle Cat's House till the new fridge arrives.

When we replaced the heating system with the renovation, it was the original (1931) The water heater only dated from the 1950s...

Now? I don't think most of our current appliances will last anywhere near as long.

But you need some cool...

catdownunder said...

We can't relocate - Y & K and their cat have already!