Tuesday 5 February 2019

The Banking Royal Commission

Report was officially delivered yesterday.
I don't know what the fall out will be. I am not an economist so I do not understand the banking business as well as I would like - or perhaps even need.
There is one thing I do know. Banks are there to make money for their share holders, not the customers.
There is another thing I know. You need to use a bank or similar institution if you are going to live in the modern world. 
Those things are at odds with one another.
I do most of the Senior Cat's banking business these days. It annoys me. It has nothing to do with how much I love the Senior Cat. He is the most precious and lovely of humans and I don't think "adore" is too strong a word  to describe how I feel about him.
No, it is the way the bank behaves. I have a Power of Attorney over the Senior Cat's affairs. Middle Cat has one too. The Power of Attorney would allow us to buy and sell a house for the Senior Cat, buy and sell shares, borrow money from him and so on. We can do anything he can do so long as it is legal - except with the bank.  No, the Power of Attorney was not good enough for the bank. They had to have "An Authority to Act". I can't use the Senior Cat's cards. I have to have a card of my own.
The bank tells me it is all about "security"  but in reality it has nothing at all to do with security because the P of A is actually a much stronger document in legal terms. It is  however about the bank making money. 
I have the same authority to act for five different elderly people at two more banks. They are all much the same. The tellers tend to know me but I need to take my passport along because my "Proof of Age" card - issued by the Motor Vehicles Department and with my photograph on it  -  is not proof of my identity. In order to get that card I had to take my passport along as well as other documentation. If it was a driver's licence - issued by the same department - it would be acceptable and I would not need a passport. The driver's licence actually requires less ID to obtain.
So, how does that work?
Do it all on line you say? Middle Cat does the on line banking but the Senior Cat does not trust that way of doing things - and who can blame him? The other elderly people don't like it either, none of them has a computer and four of them have no idea how to use one. If bank branches had not closed two of them would still be able to go to their nearest branch unaided. 
Commissioner Hayne has apparently said the culture of banks needs to change. He has apparently made seventy-six recommendations. That may be good but I doubt that the first recommendation is, "Banks should acknowledge that they are dealing with people and provide a customer oriented service."

1 comment:

Holly said...

Reality - banks also make money by employing fewer people and forcing services on line. Same as all these "helpful" phone trees they want you to talk your way through. Not at all.

According to our banker - there are fewer frauds committed in person in banks than on-line. Go figure. But having a branch with real live tellers costs more. And you are totally correct about banks making money. All corporations are the same. We have lost the culture in the US about service and have shifted the burden along with an attempt at guilt.

In the US you could probably win the fight about POA, but it would be a waste of time and effort.

Time much better spent having a cup of tea with a friend.
"