Friday 28 June 2019

Woolly socks

are essential.
The Senior Cat has chilblains. This is hardly surprising. He is old, very old. His circulation is not as good as it used to be. He cannot exercise as much as he once did. (How many years ago did he stop riding his bike to school each day? It set a wonderful example to the teachers and students under his care.)
The Senior Cat also has good woolly socks. He has a number of pairs of good woolly socks. They have been made for him by a friend of ours....and one pair by yours truly. (I am not particularly fond of knitting socks.)
    "Wear your woolly socks," I kept telling the Senior Cat. He was complaining his feet were cold.
    "They are too good to wear around home. I might wear holes in them too."
Pause here for a silent scream from me. 
The Senior Cat went to the podiatrist. Middle Cat took him. The podiatrist said,
      "I think you have cellulitis...make an appointment to see the doctor."
Middle Cat did that and muttered to me, "She might be right but it might just be.... a chilblain."
They went to see the doctor yesterday. It was a chilblain.
      "Wear some good woolly socks," the doctor told him. Middle Cat bought another pair of good woolly socks for him while she was in the chemist. 
He came home and grumbled about "those woolly socks" being too good to wear around home.
I gently pointed out that he does not often go out these days and that he might feel more comfortable if his rear paws were warmer. 
Nothing more was said.
I have just heard him get up for the day. He gets himself dressed - sort of dressed anyway.
Will he be wearing a pair of woolly socks? 

3 comments:

Jan said...

Holeproof Explorer soks are good for commercial socks. My mother gave me some ebfore I started knitting my own. They lasted years. I now make my own and uysually have a pair in progress. My feet now complain about commercial socks as I have tailored the hand knit ones to suit my feet. I find I catch threads and cause a hole on the top of the insptep.

My grandmother taught me to darn may years ago and I feel smug at rescuing a sock from oblivion. I have some which are over 15 years old and heels and toes are still going strong. Even with not so luxurious yarn.

I used to get nasty chilblains when at highschool and in early 20s. Thennthey stopped. I would rub someth9ing like Lasonil on them which increased blood supply. Perhaps you could ask his doctor about that sort of thing. I do still remember the dreadful itch and burning which accompanied them.

catdownunder said...

Those Explorer socks are excellent - really good bed socks! I am like you though - I prefer the hand knitted variety that fit properly.

Jodiebodie said...

Please add my vote for Explorer socks too! So thick and toasty and sturdy enough to allay Senior Cat's fears of wearing them out.

How will Senior Cat learn to enjoy the comfort of good woollen socks without worrying about them getting holes? Life is too short and socks are made to be worn! Maybe you can remind him that woollen socks that never get worn can end up with holes in them anyway from meglect.

If your sock is going to get a hole, isn't it better that it is caused by the sock fulfilling its duty of keeping feet warm rather than perishing or being eaten? I wish you all the best of luck with changing his mindset to feeling okay about wearing woollies.

Author Erma Bombeck made a list of things she would do differently "if I had my life to live over" and one of the items was:
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

Life is for living and experiencing every moment - that includes the joy of woollen socks!