Wednesday 19 June 2019

Two trains there and

two trains back.
There were more than 600 people present - standing room only at the back of the auditorium/church. 
I wondered if they manage to fill it on a Sunday. There is a car park adjacent that would easily hold enough cars.
It is not just a Sunday place though. There are all sorts of weekday activities. It is more like a community centre. Perhaps that is a good thing. 
Yes, I was at the funeral for the forty-seven year old mother who died last week. It might have been held earlier but one of the mourners flew from Norway - "just a mate who wanted to be there". That's friendship.
And it was family too. 
It is the Senior Cat's second cousin who is officially head of the clan here. M... is the eldest, of the eldest.... He is the one who initiated the two clan reunions we have had. Yes, the rest of his-my generation helped but he initiated them. The huge family history was largely researched and written by him with much checking and proof reading by yours truly. 
It needs to be updated again. My brother will update the website. It's useful. The Senior Cat has trouble keeping track of just who is who now. It's the youngest generation that he loses track of completely. I lose track. M.... loses track too - and he has it all far more under control than the rest of us.
But yesterday it didn't really matter. I parked the trike and made my way through the gathering crowd. I looked for familiar faces and then M... , taller than most, swooped and hugged me.
    "So glad you got here," he said. His voice had that rough edge of emotion. No, he did not expect the Senior Cat to be there. I was there for both of us.
And then, quite suddenly, I was surrounded by my family, my clan - the cousins of varying degrees. They were asking after the Senior Cat, genuinely wanting to know. I was catching up on their news. I was looking up and up at B.... and W.... remembering when they were  barely old enough to  go to school 
We weren't there for a good reason but I looked across at M... holding T...'s father. T....'s father would shortly have to do the hardest thing of all for a parent - farewell his daughter. I looked at J..., M...'s son-in-law, who was standing quietly by waiting to lead them in and conduct the service. J...had given me another bear hug moments before.
     "This is so hard. Thanks so much being here."
Two trains there and two trains back and trike rides at each end. It was worth every turn of the pedals for my family, my clan.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can write Cat. Bob C-S

jeanfromcornwall said...

There are no words . . . Sympathy.

catdownunder said...

Thanks Bob
Jean, you are right... it was one of those tough funerals. The sort when people really are too young. Thanks.