Friday 30 October 2020

Motorsport, more motorsport

and now, thankfully, less motorsport.

This is something Middle Cat and I strongly disagree on. She loves motorsport, so much so that she was one of those to volunteer her time at the racetrack for the Clipsal 500. 

For those of you in Upover and elsewhere this was a street race around a city circuit. It replaced the Grand Prix here. Every year it caused a major disruption to the lives of many people who lived nearby or needed to get around the circuit to get somewhere else. It was noisy - we could hear them from six kilometres away. 

Middle Cat would be there in the thick of it...as the physiotherapist. Yes, they do need such people at these events. There are strains and stresses on the human body when driving at high speed for hours at a time. Getting sense out of Middle Cat during that time was impossible. They are possibly the only times she has willingly risen early in the past few years.

I loathe motorsport. I freely admit that sport does not interest me - apart from a passing interest in cricket - but motorsport is something I cannot support. The amount of money spent on it is obscene and it is possibly the most environmentally unfriendly activity on the planet. 

The amount of fossil fuel consumed by this activity is frightening.  What is more many of those involved and who spectate are people who would claim to be concerned about the environment and about global warming.

So the news  that next year's race has been cancelled because of falling numbers and Covid concerns could only bring a silent cheer from me. I know not everyone will agree. I know I will be told "other people like it" - as if that somehow justifies it. I will be told I need to be more "tolerant". Do I?

People can take a walk in the park lands next year and the birds can have the trees back. We don't need this sort of "sport".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely you (and many other Adelaideans) would like the Grand Prix back? Here, in Melbourne, there is months-long disruption to a public park, ecological foolishness, expense for the state/city, and we can hear it 10 km away if the wind is from the south.

LMcC

Anonymous said...

Very generous thought but I suspect that the silent majority were more than happy to see it go. Chris

senioradvisorsplus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.