Tuesday 10 November 2020

Christmas shopping?

Am I really expected to think about this? We aren't halfway through November yet. The panic need not start until - well at least halfway through December.

And things may be different this year. We are not supposed to share food with other people - a Covid19 rule - and that poses a problem. I usually make shortbread in Christmas sort of shapes. I pack it up in Christmas sort of packages and I give it to people - some of whom give me something similar in return.  I don't eat much of this sort of thing but it is extremely welcome as something to offer people who "pop in" or "drop in" or simply "come in". 

My "thinking time" as I pedal about has been partly taken up with the problem of what I might be able to give people. I need something to acknowledge friendship and I would prefer it to be something I have made myself. It is all too easy to think, "I could go and buy that." I don't have that sort of disposable income even if that was the way I wanted to do something. 

A good many of my friends have gardens or, at very least, pots. It is possible I could do something about that...a little decorated pot with a seedling in it perhaps? I'll think about it.

The immediate family may be able to have Christmas together - Covid19 cases permitting. We will spring the Senior Cat out of the residence for the day - something the staff will also appreciate - and have lunch together. It should be safe enough. There are no community transmissions here at present. The only cases we have are in hotel quarantine. 

If we do manage that though I will be thinking of people who cannot get together - and there are far too many of them. My cousin and his partner will be stuck in a tiny flat in London. They love their flat and the location - most of the time. Right now it is not so good. Their minute rooftop garden - room for some pots and two chairs - is not much fun if the weather is bad. Most people in London don't even have that. 

Christmas should be a religious celebration of course. I often wonder how many people even think about that. For far too many people it is more about parties and presents and too much to eat and drink but,  if not a religious celebration, it should surely be about coming together in some way. It won't be Christmas without that so I hope I can find a way of telling my family and my friends that I appreciate them. 

No comments: