Wednesday 25 November 2020

Saving the tomato plants

is one of my tasks for today - if I can find a way to do it. Middle Cat has taken all the mulch! Grrrrrrrrr.

I am not sure how this happened. There were several garden bales of hay there and they have disappeared. I now remember her asking if she could take "some". It seems she has taken all of it. All the shade cloth, rolled up and put away for the winter, has gone too.

At the end of the week the temperature is forecast to be 40'C for two consecutive days.  The next two are forecast to be a mere 33'C.  They will be hard enough on plants.

I am not much of a gardener. The garden was the Senior Cat's hobby - one of them. He liked to grow things. He was once on the committee and then the president of an organic gardening group. He knew a man who ran an organic gardening business  and even did a magic show for his son's birthday. He has taught other people about gardening...but not me. 

I stick things in earth and I give them water and I expect them to grow. I "know" things like tying up tomato plants but only because it is obvious that it is kinder to the plant. I admit I talk to plants.  It is  highly unlikely that this means anything to them but.... it can't do any harm can it? Of course it might mean that someone will hear me and think I am even stranger than they already think I am.

One of the few things I do know though is that plants need to be sheltered from extreme heat. I know that they need to be kept damp in this heat. 

Middle Cat had better do something about this....because I can't get to the garden centre and bring those things home by myself. Grrrrrrr.  

No comments: