Tuesday 24 January 2023

Do we actually need a "national" day?

In two days from now we will be "celebrating" or "mourning" on Downunder's national day.  It will be a public holiday. Some people will go to work and others won't.

I personally wish there was no such thing as our national day and no public holiday to go with it. Everyone who goes to work can turn up as usual thank you very much.

I know this will shock some people but I am fed up with being told I have to be a "proud" Downunderite. I am fed up that I am told I need to do this while also being told that I should be "ashamed". I am supposed to be ashamed because it celebrates white settlers taking over from the "original inhabitants". 

Whilst doing all of this the country has been celebrating Chinese New Year, made much of in the media. Other celebrations will also occur, some national, some religious, some "celebrating diversity" and more. Oh, we are big on "celebrations". 

That is, we are big on celebrations unless they are WASP or WASC. These "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant or Catholic" are not quite as acceptable. The government has not yet banned Christmas or Easter but these things are not as acceptable as Ramadan or Hanukah. Christmas and Easter apparently don't celebrate any sort of "diversity".

I wonder about this. I am I suppose a WASP of sorts.  I am "white" and my ancestors are not exactly "Anglo-Saxon" but I suppose "Celtic" is close enough.  And yes, Presbyterian - so Protestant if you wish. New Year's Eve is Hogmanay. People sing "Auld Lang Syne". I belong to a clan (indeed am a Life Member of my clan's society) and that clan has a tartan. It is not merely a sept of another clan. I even know a few words of Scottish Gaelic, something about Shetland lace and Scottish literature. 

None of this is a matter for "celebration" here. It doesn't get much mention in the media, if it gets mentioned at all. Instead I am apparently someone who should never mention such things. I belong to that group of people who ancestors were responsible for "genocide" and "dispossession" and so much more. It doesn't matter that my ancestors came here long after the first settlers, although not so recently as some.  I am still in the wrong. I need to apologise for things I did not do, that my own ancestors did not do. I need to acknowledge other flags and the "country". The present government is planning on dividing us still further and perhaps forever.

I really don't think we need a national holiday. There is nothing to celebrate.


 

No comments: