Wednesday 21 June 2023

Going to the bottom of the ocean

 is not something I have ever wanted to do. I have never been diving at all - unless you count falling into the water from the side of a swimming pool.  I also have no like of putting my face under water in any other way.

The idea of climbing into some sort of hollow metal object and deliberately going under water does not appeal in the least. I hate enclosed spaces. When Middle Cat parks the car in the underground car park at the shopping centre I grit my teeth and get out as fast as I can.  I know. It's ridiculous. 

I do know where the intense dislike comes from. It is the memory of being enclosed in a dark ambulance when I was two years of age - and being told I was "not allowed to cry". Not allowed to cry? I was two years of age. I didn't know what was happening to me! 

So, why would anyone choose to go into a "submarine"? I suppose they have a completely different sense of adventure, the sort that would send them into outer space as well. (The two experiences don't seem that different to me. I hate flying too. I have only ever done that out of necessity.)

There was no necessity involved in the latest "adventure" undertaken by those going off to "explore" the Titanic. Why they would have any desire to do such a ghoulish thing is beyond my comprehension. It is a site best left alone. I have never seen the film. I have no desire to see the film. I am all too conscious there are still people alive today who never met relatives who perished in the disaster. Many years ago I did briefly meet a man who was brought up by his grandparents because his parents were lost in that disaster. I often wonder what effect it must have had on him.

And much news time is being given to this. The search effort is immense. The money being spent is massive. At the same time yes we really do have people setting out in overcrowded, unsafe boats. There were apparently women and children locked in the hull of one recent vessel - "for safety"? Safety? How can being locked in the hull of any vessel be safe?

I loathe the people smuggling trade. I know so much more could be done to stop it. I also know that there is too much money to be made for it to be easily stopped. If the money spent on the Titan which has gone missing and the rescue effort now being made had been spent on helping refugees in their own countries we might be saving more lives than those of the five who have gone missing. 

Is it time to rethink such "adventures"? 

No comments: