Tuesday 16 July 2024

Our gun laws are

some of the toughest in the world. I am still not sure they are tough enough or that they would save us if someone was really determined to do a mass shooting. It would take more than that.

Even when he was announcing the change to gun laws after the Port Arthur massacre the Prime Minister of the day was not wearing a bullet proof vest. He was apparently told he should but, on consideration, declined. He knew the vast majority of us supported the move.

People really do not need guns in urban areas. If you want a hobby then find something other than "pistol shooting" to do. Farmers who have livestock perhaps need one to put down a badly injured animal as do wildlife officers. For years our police were not armed. They are now and I am sorry it is seen as necessary.  

All this makes me wonder even more at the way Americans see the need for so many guns. Even when someone tries to shoot a presidential candidate there are those who support their "right" to carry arms, indeed they try to say this is a reason why people should be able to carry a lethal weapon.

I wonder too how the father of the young man who allegedly tried to shoot Mr Trump and was instead shot feels. It was not the only death and any half way decent human being is likely to be beside himself in despair and grief.

There are still multiple pages about "the incident" in this morning's paper. I have not bothered to read them. One reason for this is because it is largely speculation and ill-informed "analysis" by people who really know very little. This is unlikely to help anyone.  My own view is that the "attempted assassination" (if that is what it was) will only strengthen Mr Trump's campaign, even a strong candidate on the other side would find it difficult now. 

I hope I am wrong but I don't think I am.  

No comments: