Saturday 14 February 2009

A toothbrush and some knickers

Some people are apparently very generous but I wonder if they are giving things they simply want to get rid of? People in a disaster zone do not need a dinner set - but they do need a toothrbrush and clean underwear and some of the most basic things.
Even that pales into significance if you have lost your wheelchair and cannot get around!
I just took a look at an internet discussion list for people with disabilities in Australia. The bushfires have not even been mentioned. Are they all so wrapped up in their own little world that they cannot think of their fellow disABLED? I am not officially a member of the group any more so I do not feel I can intervene - it would be the sort of behaviour that would have the rednecks in the group down on me again. All the same I find their apparent lack of compassion and concern disturbing....surely they could at least be saying "I have a spare X could someone in the bushfire zone use it?"
I would love to be able to write a cheque for a million dollars right now. It would not bring back what people have lost but it might help them start anew.

No comments: