Wednesday 2 March 2016

The smoke alarm went off last night

and you now have a very-tired-cat. There was no smoke. There was no fire. The battery may need changing. I don't know. It went off twice - both times quite briefly.
Of course the battery changing business is not one the Senior Cat and I can handle. He can't climb a ladder to get to the alarm. I can't climb the ladder either. 
There will be the usual  battle over whether or not it is proper to ask someone such as my BIL to do the job or call in the electrician to do it. The Senior Cat hates asking other people to do the jobs he could once do. Middle Cat will explain gently that is is "perfectly all right" to ask in such circumstances. The Senior Cat will mutter and grumble. 
The smoke alarm is located in the passage way. It is very sensitive. If I am using the oven I need to shut the intervening door before I actually open the oven or the smoke alarm is likely to sing a raucous song. The noise is ear achingly loud.
My bedroom is located adjacent to the smoke alarm. I leapt out of bed of course. 
The Senior Cat slept on. I know because I have just asked him whether he heard it. I thought it was unlikely because he didn't come out to investigate last night.
I am glad he was asleep because he is a restless sleeper - but it worries me that he didn't hear it. 

2 comments:

Jan said...

Mine here in an apartment started beeping two days before christmas. I called the strata manager as I was not sure if it was the one inside or the one in walkway outside. I really was unhappy at the thought of several days of holidays with the noise. We have one in apartment, very strident. We have them on walkway outside every second door and there are several stations on each floor with long fire hoses. It was something I paid attention to when looking for a purchase.

The repair man arrived very early, around 6:00 am the next morning. He said it was the internal alarm which needed a battery, but it was well over ten years old and should be replaced. Ten years recommended life.

All these alarms are hardwired in. It took him a very sort time, fewer than five minutes to unscrew the unit, put a new battery in a new unit and screw it back in. Connect two leads with clips.

Asked him about replacing a battery as it is hardwired. He told me anyone could do it, it did not need an electrician as there is no poking around in the actual wiring. This useful piece of knowledge cost me $180 for callout, new unit and five minutes of work. This is in NSW. You may need to check for SA.

catdownunder said...

Ours is not hard wired. I bought a new one this afternoon. Nephew is coming around later to put it in. It's the same as the old one - with a supposed ten year battery. The battery in these cannot be replaced. Apparently it is not considered "safe" to do so. I'll wear the expense for the peace of mind.