Tuesday 4 July 2017

There was a boxing match

in Queensland over the weekend. Apparently there was a "record crowd" who were stupid enough to pay money to see two grown men fighting one another.
No, I don't like boxing. Boxing is not a "sport". It is the ultimate stupidity. The whole idea is, apparently, to knock your opponent senseless, to injure him (or even, these days, her). 
I find the whole idea terrifying.
I think brains in adults tend to weigh around 1.2 to 1.5 kilos - the doctors who read this will no doubt happily correct me if I am wrong. Slamming a fist into the skull of a human being and knocking that brain, in the confined space, around doesn't seem like a good idea to me. 
Oddly it is the thing that other sports are concerned about - although not concerned enough in my view. There are games and positions in games where helmets are used - and rightly so. Getting hit on the head with a cricket ball or a baseball can be instantly fatal. 
Middle Cat would not allow her two boys to play soccer.  Bounce a ball off your head? Most definitely not. She knew she couldn't protect them from everything and they played other sports. They still go to gyms on a regular basis, run, cycle, and go-kart. But soccer and football were games of high contact and, as a physiotherapist, she told them of the dangers  - and they accepted it. 
So, why do other people do it? At the top level it must be about the money I suppose. There is a picture in this morning's paper of the "winner" with one eye shut, stitches, bruising and no doubt more injuries we cannot see. 
I heard his proud boast that he and his wife were expecting their first child. If that is the case then his behaviour in participating in a boxing match is even more reprehensible.
It isn't just the result now which counts. It is what the boxer will be like some years down the track. You get a bang on the head. It knocks out some brain cells. They don't regenerate. You go on getting bangs on the head. You knock out more brain cells. They don't regenerate. Your personality can change. You might become violent. You lose other abilities. You might become seriously physically disabled.
As a very small kitten I had a brain injury. I have lived with it for my entire life. The consequences are the cause of a great deal of frustration in my daily life. I know a great many people who are much worse off than me for similar reasons. I wouldn't wish their lives on anyone.
Why anyone would engage in an activity that has more chance than not of leading to those sorts of problems is beyond me.
Boxing should be banned.

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I just read that brains weigh 1.4 kg.

Good words about brain injury and its effects.

And, yes, it is reprehensible. Of course Horn is thinking of a life after/alongside boxing. So is Pacquiao.

"So, why do other people do it? At the top level it must be about the money I suppose. There is a picture in this morning's paper of the "winner" with one eye shut, stitches, bruising and no doubt more injuries we cannot see."

and, yes, her. If you are a woman reading this and looking for a new sport to try or an exercise to practise ... the ones the physio's sons were doing are recommended as of low or moderate impact.

Momkatz said...

Boxing needs to be banned. It is an inhuman, brutal activity. I don't understand how people can stand to watch it.
Football needs to be banned, as well. More and more scientific and medical evidence is coming to light about the horrid brain injuries and deaths that our American players are suffering. I don't think it will ever be banned b/c it makes billions a year for the owners.
USA Cat