Sunday 1 April 2018

April Fool's Day

is, I suspect, going to be filled with fake news, silly pranks, dangerous pranks, and few genuinely funny pranks. 
Is it really funny to tease people? Yes, it can be if it does in a genuinely well meant way but that is rarely the case.  There is almost always an edge to teasing someone - and that edge can be very sharp.
There was someone in the supermarket last week. She was buying Easter eggs and boasting to a friend, "I've promised the kids a dozen eggs each. I just didn't tell them what size. This is all they are getting too." 
And of course what she has done is buy a single packet of the smallest eggs she could find. They are about the size of an almond or a grape. 
The friend she was talking to thought this was hilarious - and so did she. 
Is it funny? 
I tried to put myself in the place of her children. From looking at her I would have to guess that her children will be very young. They certainly wouldn't be in late primary school or in their teens. Children of that age might find it funny - particularly if a parent handed over eleven tiny eggs and a large one. A small child faced with twelve tiny bits of chocolate may think very differently - especially if they are then told they have to "share" as well.
My parents did not buy us eggs. I never remember going on an Easter egg hunt either. I do remember the "Easter Bunny" visiting us in the "Infants" - or at least the teacher pretending she had looked out the window and seen him. ("Him" note, not "her".) We made Easter baskets and put an egg in them to take home to our mothers. I remember the egg was wrapped in red foil. 
We did get eggs from our grandparents. My paternal grandparents would give us little sugar eggs. You could break those into bits and suck them. They lasted a very long time as my mother would put them on the shelf in the kitchen - out of our reach - and hand them out a piece at a time. Some bits were bigger than others. I always had the smallest pieces first.  
My maternal grandmother would give us chocolate eggs, two each. They were about the size of a real egg. My brother and I thought our grandmother had been cheated because they were hollow inside  - but we never said anything to her. 
My nephews here would get real, hard boiled eggs which had been dyed red in true Greek Orthodox tradition. They ate those. Their Greek-Cypriot grandmother would give them to us too. The whites would be tinged to a faint, delicate shade of pink. They were also given chocolate eggs and sugar eggs. Middle Cat would put them on a shelf in the pantry where my nephews could get at them if they wanted to. More often than not they would reach the point of their  "use-by" date and Middle Cat would inquire if they wanted to eat them. No? She would pass them on before they became too stale to eat.  
I stood there and looked at the eggs after the woman had moved on and remembered these things. I had been going to buy the Senior Cat an egg - nothing special, just a little "I love you" sort of egg - but somehow I didn't want to buy him an egg after hearing that woman. 
There were some cheeky, smiling Easter rabbits sitting on a shelf near the eggs. They were not much bigger than a real egg and about the amount of chocolate the Senior Cat is likely to consume in a month. I put one in the basket - and then I put another one in the basket for a friend who has been ill.
And today I might make some egg-shaped biscuits and perhaps some rabbit shaped biscuits - and I'll share them out.
That's likely to be  better fun than teasing. 

2 comments:

helen devries said...

Rotten woman. No wonder it left a sour taste in your mouth.

catdownunder said...

I do wonder what her children thought!