Friday 13 April 2018

The cat has left

and, much as I like him, I have breathed a sigh of relief.
The Senior Cat did not trip over him.
H... did not escape - although he tried hard.
I was sufficiently concerned about the little escape artist's capacities to put a notice on our front door which read, "Please do not let our visiting cat escape."
The postman was most amused  by it. Another visitor understood perfectly. She occasionally cat sits three cats.
We thought we would have H...until this morning but Middle Cat rang just after I had fed him last night and said, "They have moved everything. K.... will come and pick him up in about half an hour."
I cheered silently  because, despite my best efforts, he was not a happy cat. He had actually been perfectly behaved but he did not want to play. He had not splashed his water everywhere and I was not sure he had actually had much to drink at all. He had eaten almost nothing. All these things are signs of distress in an otherwise healthy young cat who likes to play.
But, late yesterday afternoon when he was back on the chair he clearly considered to be his for the duration I approached him cautiously. I held my paw out for him to sniff again. He sniffed and then gave me a little head butt. I sat next to him. He wriggled a little closer and then, for the first time, I heard a faint purr.
Perhaps if he had stayed longer he would have been interested in playing today but I didn't bother with his toys then. I just sat there for a few minutes letting him feel as close as he wanted to feel.
Real cats are strange creatures,  independent but sometimes in need of company. They do miss familiar people and familiar surroundings.
Did H.... know K...when she arrived to collect him? He greeted her with a miaou and it would be easy to read displeasure into it. His tail flicked backwards and forwards. He was extremely annoyed at having to enter his cat carrier. K...put two of his toys in with him to try and calm him. As he left I noticed he was worrying the head of a bright yellow and green "mouse".
He did not say thank you or goodbye.

2 comments:

kayT said...

I don't think cats ever say goodbye. But they are great at expressing disapproval. Obviously this cat liked you a little at least, or he would not be offering head butts. And somehow cats are good at knowing when people are less than strong. I had one who raced madly up and down our long hallway and when my mother came to visit I worried that he would do that to her and make her fall, but he did not do it even one time while she was with us.

catdownunder said...

Our last cats kept the Senior Cat company when he was recovering from surgery. They liked him but this was something extra - they just stayed in the bedroom with him when he was in bed - which was most of the time for several weeks. When he recovered they went about their usual daily routine again. They know.