Monday 6 August 2018

Being a carer

for anyone, for an animal, for a plant, for any object of value is a responsibility. 
I am the Senior Cat's carer now. I hope I do the job responsibly and to the very best of my ability.
It isn't that I am concerned about right now. I had a phone call yesterday. It was from a member of the knitting guild. As a result of that phone call I contacted another member of the guild because she had not received the paper work which would allow her to put her entries into the state's annual show.
      "I gave the form to one of my carers to post," she told me, "Perhaps she forgot."
I hope she hasn't forgotten. I have already sent an urgent message to the person who deals with such things and I know I will get a reply as soon as she has time to look into it.
But it bothers me because there is a good chance the carer did forget to post it. Sometimes it would be possible to say, "That's not good but there's nothing that can be done about it now. Try again next year."
That's more difficult here. This person is 92 and in a fragile state of health. She lost her husband recently. She still wants to put her entries in - if they got the form. I think we both know that this is almost certainly the last time she will be able to do anything like this.
It may seem a little thing to other people. Oh, it was "just a letter" and "it wasn't about anything really important" will probably go through at least one person's mind. No, it's much more than that. This woman has done some magnificent knitting in her life time. It has been award winning. It should be recognised one last time if that is at all possible. 
If, as I suspect will be the case, she can't put her entries in then I have had another idea. I am not sure it can be done but at least I can try.
And, if someone did fail to post the letter, then they might not feel quite so bad - because most carers do care.

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

It is not enough just to care, when being a carer - especially a paid one - the details are so important. I hope your idea works out.

Jodiebodie said...

I do not live the use of the word 'carer' to describe paid qualified support workers. While it would be nice if they truly 'cared' in an emotional sense for me, it is not necessary as long as they are professional in their role. I make the distinction that the term 'carer' be reserved for the unpaid, informal,
voluntary care given by loved ones and friends . It is only right that their contribution and commitment is recognised with a Carer's payment but often I wonder whether they should be remunerated at the same rates as paid workers to get the same pay for the same work and then some to compensate for the extra emotional stress they suffer.