Monday 20 August 2018

"Are you famous?"

The  question came from a small boy.  He looked at me with his head slightly side on and in a clearly puzzled sort of way.
     "No," I told him and then asked, "Why?"
     "Well people keep saying hello to you."
     "That's because I am sitting here," I told him. 
I am not sure that answer satisfied him. It wasn't a completely correct answer either.
Yesterday was the local crafty event I was involved in. Please note the word "local". It meant that there were a good many people from the immediate district who decided it might be worth wandering in to see what was going on. 
The organiser had asked me to go and talk about two local groups and a couple of other things - if people came and asked. I went. I put up notices about the groups. I put out information about other things. People had to go past me to get to other things. 
   "Hello Cat."
   "Hi Cat."
   "Thought I'd see you here Cat."
And so it went on.
People stopped. We talked. They asked what I was working on. I explained. 
Someone who had done a class with me two years ago had actually brought a book along in the hope that I would be there. Could she ask me a question? Of course. I was really pleased, in fact quietly thrilled, to think that she had gone on to further explore an aspect of knitting on her own.  I must have taught her something.
I showed several people how to do something and discussed the way that some very old patterns - those almost two hundred years old - had been written. 
It quietened down at lunch time and I took a short while to prowl around the rest of the event. A friend who does outstandingly good hand-dyed work was there. We chatted. She took down an idea from something I had just finished making. I bought a skein of yarn from her to give to a friend for her  birthday - no, she will make something herself!
I caught up with someone I had not seen since I was in high school - and then her husband. He had taught under the Senior Cat. All of them are long since "retired".
The afternoon was slower  but still busy enough for the small boy to ask,
      "Are you famous?"
No, definitely not. I am glad I am not. Just saying hello to all those people left me with very little "miaou". But, it was all interesting and I think some people looking for crafty company might feel comfortable about coming along to one or other group. 
Humans need company. 
 

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

You may not be famous, but I sincerely hope that you are celebrated - by the people who know you for the "Good Thing" that you are! (Reference to "1066 and all that")

catdownunder said...

thank you ma-am! :)