Friday 24 August 2018

I met a 9cm high dragon yesterday

and he was delightfully well behaved.
Mind you he might now be in danger of getting a swollen head because so many people admired his good looks.
Yes, he's green but he has lovely creamy inner ears and bright black eyes.
Oh, and he is not in the least bit fierce.  
Seriously? He was a tiny piece of amigurumi put into the state's annual show. He was crocheted from quilting thread on a tiny crochet hook - 0.2mm in size. 
I don't even own a crochet hook that size. I have an 0.6 size one that I have used for other purposes and even the thought of trying to crochet with that leaves me reeling. This was even smaller and the dragon had to be worked under a magnifying glass with many muttered curses.
I am told it is my fault that the dragon appeared because I had seen some other work being done by its owner and said, "Next you will be making something out of sewing thread."  So, she did and we have the dragon and he won the "best in show" in the crochet category. 
There was some other lovely work around yesterday of course. I am always in awe of what people do...and the hours they must spend doing it. I'd like to snuggle under some of those crochet rugs. I wish I was young enough to wear rather than just appreciate some of the small garments in both the knitting and the dressmaking.
And it was good to be able to tell someone who doesn't have access to the internet to see the results that she had won a second. As she hasn't been well this was especially pleasing.
Today I will help to put the last things on display. I will be able to admire them all over again. It's been interesting - and it has also been a privilege to be able to look so closely at some interesting work and hear the judge's reasoning. 
Next year? Yes, if I can then I will do it again. 


 

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

I'm looking forward to visiting this year to see all of these amazing things.