Friday 17 August 2018

Today is about knitting and

and crochet and other such things. If you are not interested then please cease to read now.
I have just finished a vest. If I am fortunate I may be able to get our neighbour V... to take a photograph. We will see. I need a camera of some sort but even then V.... will  be much better at these things.
This vest is a crochet deal. It came about because my very good friend M.... in the United States gave me a wonderful skein of hand dyed cotton. The cotton is some of the best I have ever used. It had an almost silk like sheen. It had the right amount of twist and sheen and the colour was predominantly blue. 
The question was, "what do I do with one skein?"  The eventual answer was, "Put it with other  yarn - but try to do it in a way that doesn't ruin it please." 
I left it there and thought about it. I couldn't match the blue - and believe me I tried. In the end I went for other colours instead...some unexpected colours at that.
It has taken a while to make too. I've done little bits of it here and there and while waiting for other things to happen or finish happening. But, it's done.
I have been working on something else as well of course. This is knitting, Fair Isle knitting to be exact for the class I am teaching at a Summer School. It is another "not really portable" project. There are too many balls of yarn. It involves thought and graph paper and other things.  I like, indeed love, Fair Isle but it is not knitting for the short train journeys I need to take. 
So there is the third thing, usually a beanie or socks, which is my "take it with you" knitting. I recently made two scarves. One was a sampler to see how the yarn would knit up. (Yes, cashmere was nice with which to work.) The other was an 80th birthday present.  I am feeling rather anxious right now as I do not have anything else like that started. 
But  yesterday another neighbour called in to pick something up and looked at the vest.
     "I suppose you made the pieces on the train," she told me.
No, I didn't...but I could.
I have yarn...and I have an idea I want to try. 

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

I can understand your anxiety. I always find it unsettling to be 'between projects' (as I am at the moment) especially 'take-alongs'. I'd love to see your vest or a photo of it. Nice to read a crafty blog entry from you. Good luck with your fair isle and teaching prep. x