Sunday 25 November 2018

A "former Prime Minister" was

out fighting fires yesterday. He's done it before and he will probably do it again. 
I have just seen some snide remarks that he was "only doing it because of the photo opportunities". That is not unexpected as the media love to hate him.
The problem is that this is also an insult to other fire fighters as well.
You do not get to be a firefighter by picking up a hose, turning on a tap and pointing it at the fire. I can't say I know what goes on in training sessions because I have never been to one. I do know though that it is a good deal more complicated than people think it is.  
I also know that, unless you have been to training sessions, you can't go out with your team. The "former Prime Minister" has therefore been committed enough to go to training sessions. He's part of a team. He has to work with the team. He has to take orders from someone on the team. 
And he is also doing something dangerous so that others can be safe.
So, why are we knocking this man and his efforts? In doing so are we also knocking the efforts of those working with him? It seems to me that we are.
I know a little about bush fires from personal experience. When I was in my teens the Senior Cat was head of a very big rural school. It had a small "farm" attached to it. In the last week of the summer school holidays we were home and my parents were getting ready for the new school year. Some of the teachers were back too. 
It was just as well because a fire broke out and threatened the school and the animals. 
I have an all too vivid memory of standing in the domestic science centre kitchen making sandwiches at 3 am in the morning. The men fighting the fire needed something to eat as they came in one at a time for a brief respite. They were exhausted - and had to keep going because there were not enough men to go around. 
The Senior Cat, who is not and never has been a big man, was taking orders from one of the fathers and trying to keep up with the pace.  My mother was making drinks and making sure the men drank enough - often more than they thought they needed.
My brother, age 12, was pumping water into the little overhead feeder (pressure) tank with one hand and spraying the back garden - into which the sheep had been herded.  When I had finished making sandwiches I was sent back to help him pump. 
I remember the noise, the heat and the smoke. The fire came close enough to burn half the school oval before it was  under control.
My sisters slept through it all.
Having been through that all I can say to people is - don't ever knock someone out there fighting a fire. It's dangerous. It's exhausting. It's terrifying. If you haven't been through it you may not understand but that's no excuse.
The "former Prime Minister" isn't out there for the photo opportunity. He's out there doing a job that has to be done sometimes. He deserves to be named in the news media instead of being referred to in that way. 
Thank you Tony Abbott and the men who work with you.

No comments: