Saturday 10 November 2018

"Booked for speeding?"

I asked.
He nodded. The elderly man on my bicycle route looked shocked and confused.
He showed me the paperwork which had just come in the post. 
    "I don't know who was using the car Cat. I was in hospital at the time."
    "Could someone  have been using the car? Did you give the keys to anyone?"
     "No A...(his immediate neighbour) knows where they are but she doesn't drive."
     "Anyone else?"
He shook  his head.
     "I suppose I'll have to pay it."
 I told him not to and suggested he check.
     "It's obviously a mistake," I told him.
He shrugged and I left him. 
On my way back his even more elderly neighbour A.... stopped me. She was upset too.
     "I was supposed to be looking after his place while he was in there. I'm sure nobody used his car."
The car itself is elderly - but well cared for. 
As I don't drive it had not occurred to me immediately but I had the answer. 
     "N.... I can check for you. Can you give me the paperwork?"
     "How? You don't have to go anywhere do you? I can do it."
     "No need for that. I can check on the computer. There will be a photograph."
He handed over the paper work. I took it home and looked up the photograph. 
Yes, there was a photograph - a photograph of another elderly car. The car was not the same...and there was something about the number plate...
I reported the fact that someone is out there using the same number plate registration as the elderly man on my bicycle route.  
He isn't paying the fine and he said a member of the police force had come to see him and reassure him that something was being done about it.
I hope they catch the driver of the other vehicle very quickly.
 

No comments: