Saturday 3 November 2018

If I catch two trains to

the nearest station and then ride to the bus that....and then.... no it won't work. It would take more than half the day to get there even if the bus ran at the right time.
I told someone I couldn't go to a meeting at their choice of location. I explained that simply getting there by 9:30am wasn't possible.
   "Can't you just drive over here?" he asked.
   "I don't drive. I don't have a car," I told him.
   "Well a taxi then," he said.
   "Are you paying?" I asked.
I am doing these people a favour. I am not getting paid to go and help. It isn't something I want to do in the first place. A taxi both ways would cost around $70 - probably more in the early morning traffic.
There was a sigh at the other end.
    "We can't change the meeting time."
No, there are two members of the legal profession, a doctor and others involved.
    "If you want me there then someone can pick me up at the station," I told him.
    "We need you there. I'll pick you up myself. I didn't realise you don't drive. No, hang on. I'll pick you up in the city so you don't have to put your trike on the train."
We finally sort the details out, including what make and colour of car he drives so that I can look out for it.
I don't normally look for rides, let alone ask for them. If I can't go somewhere under my own pedal power then I don't go.  This was one of the rare occasions on which it was different. I had been contacted and asked for  help. Normally I would not have agreed to help because everyone else at the meeting apart from the client and myself is being paid to do a job.  This time though P.... is an old student of mine. He can only communicate with eye movements, head up or head down for  "yes" and "no".  For legal reasons no member of his family can be present so he has asked for me. He can use a communication board by using eye movements. I have already explained all this but he wants me there and everyone else needs me there to "interpret".
P...'s father died recently, a not unexpected death. There is special provision for P... in his will but no mention of what should happen to that if P...dies intestate. P told his brother he wanted to make a will and his brother talked to the solicitor on his behalf. The question was whether P... was competent to make a will. Did he even understand what a will was?
So, I went to the meeting. I explained I might need to rephrase some questions so that P... could answer them himself.  I asked him some questions myself so those present would know he knows what he is doing.
And he made his will. It is very simple. It does what the law would do if he died intestate but that was no reason for him not to have his own. He signed it with his thumb print. 
I didn't need to get a taxi there and back - but I reckon it might have been worth it for that.
 

2 comments:

Jan Jones said...

You are a very good person x

Jodiebodie said...

It really frustrates me that so many people don't appreciate that a person can have a profound physical disability but still have a sound brain. So often non-verbal adults get treated as infants by able bodied people which is offensive and wrong. The other scenario is where able bodied people don't have the patience to wait until someone completes their communication or worse, makes assumptions about what the person is trying to communicate and dismisses the rest of the message. People with disabilities deserve the same respect as able bodied people - to have their human rights, needs, desires and opinions respected. They know what they want and deserve the same rights to self determination as everyone else. Good on you for supporting your client and, with luck, breaking down some ableist barriers in the process.