Sunday 4 November 2018

We nearly made a grown man cry

yesterday - and I am glad we did.
Remember I said we were making the poppy wreath? 
The President of the returned servicemen and women's group in whose hall we meet came to get the wreath yesterday. It had been decided not to make a formal presentation or any sort of fuss, simply to pass it over. Indeed, it had been suggested one of the committee members simply pass it on.
But, the President himself came to get it. I am not sure what he expected. I am sure it was not what he was given. He actually had difficulty speaking for a moment and his eyes filled with tears. His voice sounded a little hoarser than it had a minute or so earlier. 
He didn't stay long. I don't think a room full of women knitting and crocheting was quite his thing. He expressed surprise at that too. Although he knew of course that we met there he said he had "no idea there were so many" or "how busy" the group was.
I am glad we made it. I didn't think I could bear to make another poppy but it was worth the effort.
He appreciated the work that had gone into making it and that means his fellow servicemen and women will as well.
But it all seemed so little when I thought of what they had done.

No comments: