Monday 14 October 2024

"I'll save you the price of

an inspection," one of the other viewers of a property tells me. 

I had already observed him looking in places that most people do not bother to look. He showed me. Yes, I could see the crack now he was pointing it out. It had been carefully papered over but, viewed from another angle, it was obvious. Then there was the damp place in the bathroom/laundry area and under the sink. I could smell those. He went on to point out some further issues.

"Don't buy it," he told me, "If you don't believe me...I am about to withdraw my own offer."

Moments later I heard him quietly informing the agent just that. I simply thanked the agent and left. Out in the street the other man was just getting into his car. I thanked him too but wondered what his motivation was.

He must have been able to read my thoughts because he said, "Oh, I know who you are. My neighbour told me you were looking for something.... I am looking for a single mother - one of my wife's clients. She really needs something but not that." 

We discussed the problem briefly. He went one way and Ipedalled off another.  I looked at the other place within pedalling distance but there are two steps at the front and four at the back. I can calculate whether there is room for a ramp by now... and there is no room. That might sound fussy but I really am not capable of taking the laundry basket down steps - even if it is only part full. Middle Cat could not even get up and down the steps the way she is right now.

And that brings me to thoughts of the laundry basket itself. I have mentioned it elsewhere. It is made of cane and came out of the Royal Society for the Blind workshop set up after WWII. It is close to eighty years old. 

My BIL recently said, "Why don't you get a new one?"  

No, it works perfectly well...and I might need the money for a building report if there is nobody around to save me the money. 

No comments: