Sunday 24 March 2019

Wearing an hijab

must be uncomfortable - in more ways than one.
I have never liked the idea of things tight around my face. I don't like wearing scarves very much. It doesn't get cold enough here to need them. The idea of wearing one tied over my head and knotted under my chin doesn't appeal either.  I don't like my bicycle helmet but I wear that because it is (a) required by law and (b) might offer me some minimal protection. I can pull on a beanie and  keep my ears warm in a cold climate.
But, the idea of always wearing a head covering in public does not appeal in the slightest. My Muslim friends tell me that it does have a physical effect.  I have seen it for myself. They will walk into their homes and pull their hijab off and shake their heads. Some have long hair underneath, others short but they will still shake their heads as if they loosening up. There is a difference in how well they can hear.
All of that however pales into insignificance when you consider that wearing their hijab in public marks them out. 
There was an absolutely delightful young Muslim woman who came to the stand at the craft fair yesterday. She was wearing her hijab and was dressed in long sleeves and darker clothing despite the heat -  yes, fairly traditional. She had been buying quilting materials but stopped to ask me about knitting and crochet. I told her about what we had there and asked if she could do  either or both. She told me she could knit plain squares and that she sewed them into blankets but would like to learn more. I suggested coming to a group I belong to.
At that her expression changed. She looked - frightened? Almost that at least. I said, "You would be very welcome. There's someone younger than you - still at school."
It was the only way I could think of trying to reassure her. She didn't look entirely convinced so I added, "And they meet on Saturday afternoons. One of  us will be  happy to help you. We have ...." I told her about a couple of members of the group and gave her some more information which she copied into her phone. We went back to discussing what she needed, she bought it and left. The sad thing though is that I am fairly certain I won't see her again. I probably haven't managed to convince her she really would be welcome. If she did come she would be the only person wearing an hijab. It wouldn't matter that the people in the group come from a variety of cultures and backgrounds and that they would be welcoming. She can't know that until she experiences it for herself - and wearing her hijab makes it difficult to do that even if she genuinely chooses to wear one.

2 comments:

Miriam Drori said...

I understand that. But I also remember wishing there was something visible to distinguish me - so that I didn't have to make a big revelation later.

Jodiebodie said...

If she "genuinely chooses" to wear a hijab, I doubt that would be a reason for not attending a knitting group. She might just surprise you and turn up! I hope she does because I know you will welcome her she will learn a lot from all of you.