Thursday 29 August 2019

Find the time

and get things done on time.
An Upover (UK) friend of mine left a very short blog post saying that there was no time for keeping up the blog. I left a note on it saying that perhaps a photo and sentence or two occasionally would be enough. 
S..... is a busy woman. She is a parish priest in a rural community. I have some idea of the sort of life she leads and not just from her blog posts. I know some priests. I know they can be called on at any time. 
I also know what it was like for the Senior Cat to be the head of a big rural school where the children were brought in by bus from long distances. The Senior Cat was also expected to do things like take the Sunday church service if nobody else was available, be the local marriage guidance counsellor, the family psychologist and more. He was expected to run community events, visit the Scouts and Rural Youth and much more. 
He would be in his office at school by 7am and stayed until at least 6pm. There would often be meetings at night or he would work with the new young teachers who were struggling. 
S....'s role is a bit the same with the added stress of the highly emotional occasions of  baptisms, marriages and - most of all - funerals. I don't doubt she has the backing of the community but it is ultimately her responsibility. 
So, I wasn't scolding. It was just a hopeful plea that, sometimes, she would put  up a picture and a comment - so that I know she is still there.
And it had me thinking about time. Writing this blog takes time, of course it does. I am never too sure why I started. The very occasional comments on it are lovely to get but I don't expect them. Other people have busy lives too.
But there are times when it is essential to find the time to do something. There are times when things need to be done on time. It is a subject which will come up today and I will be very interested to see how it is approached. My guess is that the others involved will be more willing to be flexible. I won't agree but I will abide by the majority decision in the matter.
But I believe it is this sort of "flexibility" which leads to problems. There are times when we simply need to say, "No, you know what the rules said".  
Maybe I'm wrong. I know there are no rules about S.... posting on her blog page but there are rules in  other  parts of life and I think they need to be observed.

3 comments:

Gene said...

Yes, writing a blog takes time. A good bit of time. I for one appreciate very much that you spend time, energy and thought writing your blog.
I read it faithfully. Thank you very much. I am sure I am not the only reader who fails to comment.
Genie

Anonymous said...

I second that!
LMcC

Anonymous said...

I start my day reading your blog and hope you'll continue to write it - as long as it is manageable for you. Many thanks.