Thursday 22 August 2019

Something for nothing?

There is a long tradition in a group I belong to - of expecting people to do something for nothing. I think that needs to change.
There may not be any monetary reward - after all we are supposed to help one another in the group. 
What I do think needs to change is the expectation that there is no need for recipients to put any effort in. 
I am shortly supposed to be teaching something. I agreed to do it and, if necessary, I will. I will do the rest of the preparation. It will involved some hours - probably close to twenty hours by the time I have knitted a graduated set of samples to show a process. 
But, at the moment, I don't feel inclined to do it. Despite claiming an interest earlier only three people had signed up for the class when I looked. (I am told there are now four.) Of those only one person has asked me about (and she has done) the necessary preparation. The other two are inclined to sign up for most things so this does not surprise me. I doubt they will do the preparation.
I thought it wise to speak to the person in charge of such things but she still thinks a workshop can be run.
There is still another meeting in between at which it can be mentioned but my feeling is that I should not be expected to teach less than five  people - and I should not be expected to teach people who cannot be bothered to make an effort. There are other people who feel the same way.
I am not sure what the answer is under the present circumstances. I know what I would like to do but doubt it will even get discussed, let alone implemented.
It is the old story though...if you get something for nothing then you are much less likely to appreciate it. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mention your opinion widely, and press it with people who can make a difference to how things work. You may find many like-minded people who understand about how much planning and preparation goes on behind the scenes, and who think it should be recognized.

If an announcement is made that the session will not go ahead unless five people attend, having done the preparation, that may goad the prospective participants to round up others, and do their before-the-class homework.

Good luck, happy teaching.

LMcC

Jodiebodie said...

Most workshops which require payment get much better commitment and attendance - after all they have 'put their money where their mouths are.' For workshops to be a going concern, there is usually an expectation that they need a minimum number of attendees for the workshop to go ahead. I agree with the previous respondent - if your minimum number is 5, then state that requirement. Also, you are a volunteer. You are allowed to change your mind. You can always postpone the workshop until you have the numbers that make it worth your while.

If 'homework preparation' is required for a workshop (I've never been to a workshop that required it) then it should be stated at the outset so people know what they are signing up for. I was most upset that I bothered to 'do my homework' to find out the commitment required for a short course before signing and was advised that it was only attendance of x hours per week. I signed up on the basis of that information knowing that any more would have precluded me from being able to participate. Then at the first session we were told we were all expected to do extra work outside of the classes and come up with a finished product within a certain timeline. All the participants were surprised and shocked. It was not appreciated. So I see communication as the heart of the issue.