Saturday 17 August 2019

People who put tissues in the wash will be hung

from the clothesline!
I suppose it was my fault. I should have checked the Senior Cat's pyjama pocket as well as all the other pockets. But, in my defence, he doesn't put tissues in his pyjama pocket in the usual way. He uses handkerchiefs.
Whatever, there was a tissue in the wash and it was clear where it had come from because there was a little bit left in the pocket. I am not impressed. It has taken a good ten minutes to get the pieces of tissue off the other clothes.  
I had to do that before I could put the load containing his incredibly dirty trousers into the machine. If you must "garden" in pots then it is wiser not to tip compost all over yourself. Sigh...
It actually made me sympathise, slightly, with parents who have to wash the muddy football gear of their offspring. I actually thought of this and other grubbiness as I dealt with the clothes this morning. I remembered A.... who lived in the next street. He made a living, sort of, out of collecting and sorting scrap metal. He never, and I mean never, showered or washed. He should have been a pale skinned Anglo-Saxon. His skin was tar black with filth. 
    "He must have been mentally ill too," someone said to me recently. She had known him as well. 
No, he wasn't. He was odd but he did have a grip on reality. He wasn't like the mentally ill man we were watching from the far end of the street. It was a cold day but he was standing out there in shorts, a singlet and barefoot. He was shouting at the sky but the sounds made no sense. One of the neighbours had again rung for the mental health unit because he can get violent when he behaves like this.
I don't know what happened but I will check on his 86yr old mother today. He lives in his own unit at the back of her house but he is still a constant worry for her.
    "I'm so tired of it," she told me.
And she shouldn't have the worry, a worry she has had for almost eighty years. He was only seven when he had the first noticeable episode.
Compared with that sort of thing a tissue in the wash is merely irritating. I may not hang the Senior Cat on the line to brush the tissues out after all.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I did that once when living by myself so obviously I was the culprit. I threw the wt clothes in the drier and almost all the fluff was collected in the filtyer. I took the clothes outdside and shook each piece hard and the rest came off . Of course , that presupposes a drier. Mine was in the unit when I bought it.

jeanfromcornwall said...

OH checks his pockets, but in his jeans there is a little space at the top of the pocket where a tissue can lurk. We have had that joy, after BOTH of us have reliably checked the pockets, but our aging fingers have failed to find the culprit.