Monday 12 August 2019

Why is everyone in such a hurry

to get everywhere?
I, foolishly, posted this question in the comments on an article in our local press. They are considering reducing the speed limit on a short stretch of road near the airport. It is being done with safety in mind - or so they say.
According to those commenting on the article it would apparently cause more problems than it would solve. They were saying that reducing the speed limit would cause more accidents.
I find that hard to believe - but then, I am merely a cat. I ride a tricycle. I prowl slowly relative to the traffic which rushes past me.
And I do not understand this constant need to hurry - or seem to hurry.
I have long since lost count of the number of times I have reached a set of traffic lights ahead of the cars which have rushed past me and then had to brake. I have simply pedalled at a consistent speed and arrived there - aware of my surroundings. Surely all these people who are in such a hurry should be well ahead of me?
And why are they in such a hurry? 
The answer came back to me, "Because, unlike you, some of us have places we need to get to."
Oh, right. I have nowhere to go? Then why am I out and about? I have places to go, things to do, people to see. I am used to organising my life in such a way that I make time to get there. I have to make that time or I simply wouldn't go anywhere. I hate being late for things. I feel it is discourteous.I avoid it if I possibly can. 
But, I still don't rush. I don't rush because I will almost certainly get there at the same time if I don't rush. 
   "I don't have time..." and "I always seem to be in a hurry..." and - well you know the sort of comments people make. All those labour saving devices that are supposed to save time don't seem to help either.
And nobody seems to be able to answer the question,
   "Why is everyone in such a hurry?"

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

Ask this question of young families and those with school aged children. Society places unrealistic expectations on people whether that be from employers, schools, governments etc. (as if parenting wasn't demanding enough on its own in this modern world) combined with the added financial pressures of the state of the economy and increasing congestion on the roads while public transport is inadequate or unreliable. We are human beings, not robots, and yet there is a pervasive culture that we need to put money first and humanity last.