Thursday 5 December 2019

Elton John was performing

in the city last night.
No, I didn't go. It was way beyond my financial means. Also, it was outside and most people were expected to stand.
Middle Cat and her husband went - the tickets were a gift. I haven't yet heard what they thought of it but they were told they could take two light folding chairs - needed because Middle Cat has a disability parking permit - for the days when her back is really worrying her - and S...(her husband) had a surgical procedure just over a week ago. They both wanted to go - more out of curiosity than anything else. 
It made me realise that this sort of concert going is not common in our family. My two nephews who lived here while growing up had their own quite successful pop-duo. They often got gigs around town and they did some recordings too. But they weren't concert goers. Even if the money had been there they would not have been interested. I know they went to a couple of concerts of people they were particularly interested in but they weren't the noisy, lights flashing, drug fuelled rock concerts that get the headlines.
I have never been to that sort of concert. I have no desire to go. My concert going when a student was confined to the cheapest seats. My fellow students were the same. Someone would see there was something on that might interest the rest of us. A head count would be done and we would take it in turns to queue to try and get cheap seats for all of us. It was a system which worked pretty well.  I saw Gielgud in a brilliant performance of Murder in the Cathedral that way - something I am never likely to forget. It was a far cry from a rock concert.  To me rock music is mostly just a noise I don't understand. Rock artists seem to make headlines for all the wrong reasons. 
Elton John did make the headlines. There was a list of  "do and do not do" for his concert in the paper yesterday. This morning there was a glowing review of his performance and the way the crowd behaved. I suspect the crowd was a little older than the teens who flock to rock concerts.   

No comments: