Monday 16 December 2019

Unisex toilets

are under discussion in this morning's paper. There are claims that some girls are trying not to use them in schools.
I don't know who thought they would be a good idea. It apparently has something to do with catering for "gender diversification" and the "everyone uses the same toilets at home" argument.
Neither of these arguments work for me. The very small minority of people who identify as gender neutral or a different gender from their original biological gender will normally have the option of using another facility - usually one also used by people with disabilities. Those facilities are usually placed in such a way that they are unisex and gender neutral. They should be provided as a matter of course. (There are more around than there once were but we have a long way to go before I will be satisfied by the provision of such facilities.)
But the other argument that "everyone uses the same toilet at home" is not an argument at all. What happens within a family unit is entirely different from sharing a space for what is a very private act with complete strangers. In many cultures it is simply unacceptable - even forbidden. 
This is not a matter of "catering for a minority". It is imposing something on everyone for the demands of a "politically correct" view that is held by very few. I know people who claim unisex toilets "discourage sexual abuse and violence against women". I would be interested to know if there is any actual research with respect to this. My belief is that the opposite is more likely to be true. Unisex toilets would hardly seem to be the answer among body conscious teenagers with a growing sexual awareness.
Maybe I am wrong but I don't think so. Tell me if I am. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased that - at last - something is being done about the provision of more toilets which women can use.

Last year, I was 12th in a queue when the Mens toilet, immediately next door, in a place with approximately equal numbers of prospective users, had no queue at all. (I asked a rather surprised man leaving the Gents - even the possibility of queuing was beyond his experience.)

I have been using “ambulant female toilets” for some time, on the grounds that I am ambulant and female, but not a toilet, whereas the toilet is not ambulant, not female, but is a toilet. 2/3 beats 1/3! This is a silly name anyway.

At a nearby university I have noticed one lot of toilet provision included all-in-together, males-only, but the females-only were quite a walk away.

Another place seemed to have all “disabled” ones - which does seem to be very inclusive (though they will have to think of another name and perhaps works out a system so disabled people and parents can go to the top of the queue).

Rant over!

LMcC

Anonymous said...

I have so far been comfortable using the “everybody” toilets, though I have visited many. So long as everyone uses stalls with the doors closed...and washes his/her hands afterwards.

(Sorry about my previous slightly off-topic rant above.)

LMcC

Anonymous said...

Oops!!! I have NOT visited many.

LMcC