Sunday 29 December 2019

Please water your street trees

because they get thirsty too.
Some years ago there was a new street tree planted in front of our house. When it went in I happened to be home so, sometimes being a good little cat, I asked,
     "How often do I have to water it?"
The man planting it gave me a rather odd look and then said,
     "You know that's the first time anyone has ever asked me that question."
He then said he would water it in there and then and told me when I should water it again and how much. I have forgotten the exact instructions but he said that when it reached a certain size I  could then simply keep an eye on it.
     "They appreciate a bit more than we are scheduled to give them in the heat."
We now have a strong, healthy, shade giving street tree. The birds were sitting in it this morning waiting for me to top up the bird bath. (They also had fun diving through the water from the hose.)
I looked up and down our street this morning and all but one tree was looking reasonably perky - given the weather. I put a bucket in the tricycle basket, filled it with water and took it down to the little tree. It is quite new. It needs a bit more water. I gave it a bucket of water. 
As I was doing so P... who lives opposite came out and saw what I was doing.
     "Leave it Cat. I'll give it some more in a moment. They're still away."
So the occupants have apparently been watering it.
But how many people think that a street tree might need to be watered? In this heat they do need to be watered. Tomorrow is going to be another day of extreme temperatures and high winds. There should be a cooler day to follow but the temperature is going to rise again. So far summer has been much hotter than usual. No, it isn't "global warming" as such. A man who works for the "Weather Mob" (his description) tried to explain this to me the other day. 
     "Not much to be done about it but endure it," he told me, "Mind you we should be planting more trees. They help a lot."
So, I'll help the trees...and I like to think that faint rustling sound was our street tree saying, "Thank you."

No comments: