Thursday 26 December 2019

There was too much food

but then there usually is. I have grown to expect that. 
Yes, Christmas Day.
In deference to the Senior Cat's energy levels Middle Cat did not pick  us up  until noon. By then I had done two loads of washing and hung it out, remade the Senior Cat's bed with fresh sheets, helped him have a shower, made a loaf of bread, brought the washing in again because it was hot enough for it to be dry.  I had also given the Senior Cat his Christmas present - two books and a pack of origami paper. He had given me his - a book voucher. The Senior Cat ate a bowl of cereal and, knowing what was to come, went back to sleep for a while. I wrote a very bad story for the blog  post. (You were lucky to get one at all so please don't criticise it too much or the cathedral cats may go on strike.)
Then Middle Cat was there and we were away to the other side of the city. Middle Cat's SIL lives about 35 minutes away by car and Middle Cat's driving style. My BIL was already there. He and a couple of other males were responsible for the traditional barbecue. There were only nineteen this time. Things have changed. It used to hover around thirty. The Senior Cat is now by far the oldest. He has somehow outlived all the elderly Greeks.
Middle Cat, Middle Cat's partner and I all wondered how the Senior Cat would manage the day. We needn't have worried. If it is his last Christmas Day like that then it will have been a good one. 
It will be a good one because, far from ignoring him, the younger generation - now all in their twenties - descended on him. They took it in turns. They told him what they had been doing during the year. They answered his many questions, repeating themselves when his hearing failed him. They showed him photographs and videos on their phones. 
While the Senior Cat sees his grandsons he does not see the rest of these young people during the year. They scarcely know him but they included him. As one of them was leaving to pick up his (very serious) girlfriend he said to me, "I had a great time with your Dad. He's so interested in everything, so full of questions."
Mmm...perhaps that is part of it. He is still a "curious cat" at nearly 97.
I am very thankful for those young people who took the trouble to talk to the Senior Cat, every single one of them. I left them to it, helped with putting food out - buffet style.
And today I have no need to cook or even prepare much food. There are lovely left overs! Nothing has gone to waste. Thank you to my adopted family. Middle Cat did more than well when she married into yours.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good, kind people are.good and kind, no matter where they (or their ancestors) came from, and we are fortunate to know them.

And sometimes their left-overs are even more delicious than ours...

LMcC

catdownunder said...

Their left overs are excellent...all I know about Greek-Cypriot cooking I managed to learn from Middle Cat's MIL - a brilliant cook.