Wednesday 24 June 2020

Changing the look of a website

appears to be very popular right now. 
Have all those technical whizz kids had extra time on their hands while self isolating at home? 
Blogger is apparently due to change soon. Growl...I like the old design. I have at least a limited understanding of how it works - enough to use it without too many problems. 
That has not stopped some of my regular readers complaining that I should put up photographs and the like. This would be for their entertainment. I do not like being photographed at the best of times and I most definitely do not want my image on the internet for all the world to see. It is not safe.
Recently I complained to a company which advertises on another site I need to use frequently. I know the site is paid for by the revenue from the advertising and that there is little that can be done about it. It will occur even if you have an "ad remover". It is the price you pay for using the site. This does not however mean that anyone needs to put up with an advertisement which flashes, especially one which flashes at a rate that will bring on an epileptic seizure or a migraine. I emailed the company. They were not happy. I persisted. The advertisement no longer flashes.
Yesterday I logged in to a very large knitting website. It had a completely new look. They were going in for an upgrade. That's not an unreasonable thing to do but why on earth didn't they get some advice about visual perception? The background is a stark, unrelieved white. It is very difficult to look at. I had to stop investigating there. I prowled off to think about while I dealt with other issues. This morning someone else had already thought about it. Apparently the new look is causing the onset of migraines, nausea and seizures.  None of this surprises me. 
This morning I logged on to a work site. They had made some "changes" - oops. It meant I could not access one of the languages I often need to use. I sent an urgent message. Oh? Oh! "Sorry Cat we didn't think anyone but (that particular group) used it." Now they are trying to work out how to fix the problem they have caused and I have to try an work without access to it - almost impossible and very time consuming.
Why can't people leave things alone when they work? This is not about improving things at all. It is just about playing around and making something different because they can.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Cat, I can tell you that the big knitting site has been working on that *ahem* update for over a year so the current world problems did not gift that to us. I think I saw somewhere that they felt the look and feel was too... childish? maybe?

No, I don't like it either. I'm always needing/wanting more whitespace. Not this time. First words out of my mouth were 'too much whitespace!' I couldn't believe it - I never say that!

Good luck getting your needed bits back on the other site.

gemma said...

The knitting site can be changed back to classic by clicking on your profile picture and there is an option to change back. Hope this helps.

catdownunder said...

Have already done so Gemma - I hope they will allow people to keep it that way. And yes Allison I gathered it had been some time in the making - but who on earth did they employ to help? There are some basic errors there!

Allison said...

Yes, way too many basic things overlooked. I feel like most work was planned & done by Cassidy & Olivia though good money was apparently paid elsewhere for those very fuzzy icons that say nothing to many of us. I too would like classic rav to remain an option but I suspect odds are probably very heavily weighted against that happening.