Tuesday 16 June 2020

Falls in the elderly

can be serious, even fatal so the Senior Cat is extremely fortunate. In the small hours of this morning he somehow managed to "slide" out of bed and end up on the floor. He ended up on the wrong side of the bed as well - the area with much less space. 
I heard him calling to me. He did not do this until he had finally realised (yet again) that he cannot get up by himself.
I cannot get him up either. He only weighs about 58kg - if that - but he is awkward and unable to help himself.
Although he claimed to be all right I know that, if something like this happens, then someone with more medical knowledge than me needs to see him. Middle Cat? No. I could not see her and her husband, both of whom would have been over here in an instant, being able to get him up.
I pressed the emergency button. It was 1:37am when two cheerful ambulance men arrived and we all went off to the Emergency Department. The Senior Cat was feeling very cross - with himself. 
At 6:00am I thought I had given Middle Cat enough sleep time and phoned her to let her know where we were. By then the Senior Cat had been given the requisite ECG, had blood taken, and x-rays of his back and chest had been taken.  He had told the nurse he couldn't recite the months of the year backwards but he knew the year and what day of the week it was. We all shrugged off the months test and he, lucky cat, dozed off. 
I had grabbed his medications, my phone, my purse and - some knitting. I needed something to keep me awake. Without it I was in danger of being restrained as "confused" or some such thing. 
I answered questions. The Senior Cat answered some questions - just occasionally. He snoozed. I knitted.
He is "okay" - a little shaken at how easily it happened but definitely not injured. He is now having a good cat-nap. I have had no sleep. I am trying to stay awake for a little longer because I sent some work off a moment ago. I just hope it makes sense - and that when they get back to me I can snooze too. 
But through it all I thought of how fortunate we are to have a hospital system which works and whose Emergency Department was not full of suspected Covid19 cases.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m glad your father and you are both well. Have a restful day, if possible.

LMcC

jeanfromcornwall said...

Life is complicated at the moment, so, sorry I am late, but the good wishes to you and you Father are still the same.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear he is OK. Look after yourself as well. I hope we can catch up with that coffee soon. I'm WFH now, so let me know when is a good time for you.

Jodiebodie said...

I'm wondering whether a wide 'bedstick' or similar would help as an extra barrier to prevent falling out of bed on the difficult side of the bed where there is less room?

catdownunder said...

We have railings etc, etc in place Jodie. He is just a shockingly restless sleeper. His mother used to pin the bedclothes down with giant safety pins. On his old bed I would find the mattress halfway off the base some mornings...and on this occasion he was actually out of bed. He just has no spatial awareness!