Friday 26 June 2020

Defacing statues

is a popular pastime right now. The statue of the quiet pen pusher who laid out the city I live in was defaced yesterday with the words,
        "No pride in genocide."
Whoever did it has absolutely no idea who he was. He had absolutely nothing to do with the slave trade. He did no harm to the indigenous community either - to the contrary. His own heritage was part Asian. 
But it seems that any statue is now ripe for defacing - even one acknowledging indigenous service men, also defaced.
Where will this end?  It is not about the daily discrimination faced by some. 
In  the past week I have been accused of being "racist", "far Right", "far  Left", "moronic", "stupid", "ill-informed", "intolerant" and a "bigot".  
The reason for all this seems to be because, despite my genuine concerns about the way our police are trained and my even greater concerns about the way a minority of them behave, I generally support the idea of a police force. We need one. 
Yesterday a member of the police force stopped me as I was pedalling past.  No, I had not done anything wrong. The officer in question wanted to know where I had bought the cover for my bicycle helmet. The cover has a peak and a flap. It looks a bit like something a member of the foreign legion might wear. I know I look faintly ridiculous in it. Still, I don't bother to take it off when I am simply going into the supermarket for milk or the library for a book. There is no way to lock it to the bike. It is much less likely to get stolen from my head if I am wearing it.   
However being stopped by the police for any reason at all is apparently not a good idea. Someone else insisted I "must have done something wrong".  It seems some people can only see the police in a negative light - and that anyone who supports them in anyway is just as bad. They want the police replaced - and don't realise that replacing them could lead to something far worse.

Someone I know in the UK recently told me he was reported to the police for "illegally" travelling to the village in which he normally lives. There was a serious issue with his home there - caused by vandals. It was a danger to the elderly neighbour who had informed him about it. Workmen could not get in without doing more damage to the heritage listed building.
The whole thing was handled observing the correct social distancing measures. The police took no action. Nevertheless it took up police time that could have been better spent elsewhere because someone decided to make a report. 
"We haven't reached Gestapo point yet," the home owner informed me, "But the spies are honing their reporting skills."
 I really do worry about this. Taken to extremes  it would mean a sort of society which would be controlled by the worst of the Gestapo, the KGB, or various organisations responsible for "State Security".
Is that what we want?

No comments: