Monday 29 June 2020

Designing a knitting pattern

is fine. It is writing it up that I detest. I like writing in the general way.  Pattern writing however is something quite different. I think I have mentioned, probably more than once, the problem with writing instructions for anything.
Writing knitting patterns involves a certain amount of mathematics too. That's okay. I can cope with basic mathematics. I have a computer program that does the basic calculations. It is very basic but that is actually what makes it so useful. I was alarmed to see that the same program is no longer commercially available. I suppose it has been succeeded by "better" things.
I also have a very much more advanced program I am still learning to use. It is not intuitive but, up to a point it also writes some of the pattern - if that is what you instruct the program to do when you start.  I need to remember this - and have forgotten more than once.
The gap between the design and the writing of instructions however is immense. That is where the basic calculations have been so useful. That is where those tension (or gauge) squares have been so useful.  Combine those two things and you know what you have to work with - or so it would seem.
Right now all I am designing are squares.  This should be simple. It isn't. I need to fit things within the same measurement each time.  I thought I had the row count sorted for one square but it won't work for other reasons. Sigh. I also need to remember that some types of knitting are more stitches or more rows (or perhaps even both) in the making than others.  
I will get it done. I will. I will. But it is alarmingly slow and time consuming and there is so much more I want to do. 
And that is what so infuriated me about another knitter boasting of how she had managed to get a "free" copy of a complex pattern. She "borrowed" it from someone else. I know it happens all the time but I thought of all the work that had gone into the pattern. The writer of that pattern depends on sales to help pay the bills for essentials. The authors of books depend on sales to help pay their bills too. At very least they need the measly amount that comes in from the lending rights of books which are in libraries. 
I have committed to writing this pattern for a purpose. It is my contribution to trying to keep something important to our community alive. I will do it for that reason. 
I will be angry if someone else makes money out of it - but they might well do just that.  
 

No comments: