Monday 24 August 2020

The patterns for the blanket squares

are almost finished. The squares are knitted. I have made twelve. I could do more. There is a list of ideas sitting on this desk but I think it is time to stop. 

Why? Part of this project is to encourage people to design their own squares. 

I know. It is an alarming idea, especially if you are a new knitter or you have never done anything other than follow a pattern. There are a lot of people like that. I can understand it. I would also be very happy to see them try - for their own satisfaction.

"But, I CAN'T Cat!!!!!" I can hear the wail now. It makes me want to flick my tail in annoyance and growl. It isn't their fault though. It is the way they were taught in school and then later on as well...with all the creativity and confidence rubbed out of them by people who insist that there is only one "right" way to do things.

My paternal grandmother taught me to knit. It was an incredible feat for both of  us. I still remember the exact shade of blue we used. I remember the needles  -  they were a dirty yellow colour. That garter stitch square took me forever to make. I couldn't hold the needles and manipulate the yarn. We tried all sorts of ways. I cried and I lost my temper - with myself. My grandmother patiently worked on ways for me to do it - all by myself. It took me more than twelve months to learn how to do that basic garter stitch square by myself. I persisted because my mother said I would "never" learn. Her mother said the same thing. My father's mother just went on quietly helping me and telling me, "You can do it."

I look at the endless garter stitch squares now provided for blankets. Many of them are knitted by elderly people in nursing homes. They vary greatly in quality. There was an elderly woman who lived not far from here. She discovered the group which met in the local bookshop was making a blanket to raffle each year. No, she didn't want to join the group but she was happy to make squares. I gave her some spare yarn - and then more yarn and more yarn. Her squares were beautiful. They were absolutely square and incredibly evenly knitted despite her having advanced Parkinson's disease.  The group no longer meets because of Covid19 restrictions but we would all have missed her contributions. 

Had I asked her to design a square though she would have looked at me in dismay.  I can hear her now, "No dear, I can only knit garter stitch squares." It was all she felt she could do, all she really wanted to do. It was mindless knitting while she sat outside and watched the birds or, at night, watched television. She never read.

I have not designed koalas or kangaroos or kookaburras for the squares. I tried to think of things which were a little different - the last two represent the Indian-Pacific railway and the Royal Flying Doctor Service.  

If there really more requests I will try the other things. I will write the patterns. Someone else can knit them. I have a head full of other ideas I want to try. I am lucky. I have my paternal grandmother to thank for telling me "you can" and her son, the Senior Cat, for continuing to show me that creating things is so satisfying.  We all need to do more of that. 

1 comment:

Beryl Kingston said...

Very true my dear Cat.