Thursday 21 January 2021

Making a medical appointment

is not something I do lightly. Doctors are busy people. I only bother them if I feel the need to do just that or if they tell me  I need to make another appointment. 

Yes, at my age I have a few issues - nothing too serious. I have a nephew who is a doctor and Middle Cat was a physiotherapist. Where I currently live there is a paediatrician who lives directly opposite who has said, "Cat, if you need some help,  call me." 

Unlike many such offers I know she actually means it because the reverse is also true. I am their on-call emergency child minder. 

But last night Middle Cat phoned me and said, "Are you aware you have an appointment with the clinic nurse tomorrow?" 

What?????? No. The "reminder" message had gone through to her after the clinic was closed for the day. Apparently I am supposed to see the clinic nurse for a "routine check up" today. 

It is too late to cancel the appointment. I will be charged if I don't attend even though I have not made the appointment. The further information given Middle Cat was that this was happening for everyone my age and older. It is news to me, news to Middle Cat and will undoubtedly be news to many other people.  Middle Cat will need to take me there as pedalling for half an hour in 40'C heat is not wise - and then pedalling home again for another half hour!

I went through a similar experience several years ago - before I had reached the age where such things are considered necessary. I know people in their 80's and 90's who are required to attend such things but I am not in that age group yet.  The first time I told them that I did not want to do it again. The nurse I saw was abrupt and told me I was overweight - although my GP makes me look severely anorexic - and that I was not getting enough exercise. She wanted me to attend an exercise class and go to a dietician.

I refused to do either. I know people who attend the exercise class. It is one of those "sit on a chair and lift your arms above your head classes". Middle Cat knows it too and is not impressed. I really do get more exercise than most people my age. It's not imagination on my part. Almost every day I get at least a half an hour of exercise alone by riding the tricycle. My diet may be a little light on red meat - I prefer not to eat it - but it includes a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit and healthy forms of protein. I eat whole grain bread by choice and my other choices are, for the most part, healthy. I did talk to a dietician once. I was not aware of her  occupation when I was talking to her. We were in a group and we were discussing eating habits. I remember her turning to me and saying, "I wish more of my clients ate that way."

I will have to keep the appointment and I know that the same things are likely to happen again. Why? Because both the nurse and my GP are looking to provide referrals to people like the exercise physiologist, the dietician and a range of other people seeking new clients. It is particularly so right now when people working in allied health have been impacted by the pandemic. 

But, if they want people to cooperate, dictating when and how we do it is not the best way to do it. Middle Cat and my nephew and the paediatrician across the road are all watching out for me. 

2 comments:

hd said...

and you survived? and were a very polite cat, turning your head away to wash your paw?

and swishing your tail politely as you exited....

catdownunder said...

Yes, of course!